21 April, 2010

REVIEW: Lost 6x12, Everybody loves Hugo

NOTE: you might notice that we're missing a review for Lost 6x11 ("Happily Ever After"). You can feel free to blame me for being crazy!busy with all things RL. Or my dislike for Desmond. Your choice. MOVING ON.


Thanks to theloveumake.com for all caps not stamped

Can you guess who the episode was about this week?

I'd like to say that this week's episode was actually pretty good, at least when it comes to progress. As much as I am at least somewhat interested in the sideways!verse I am much more eager to make progress on the Island, and we got quite a bit of Island time. Let's see what this week brought us.



Fandom seems to be torn between those who liked Libby and those who don't, and I will firmly side with the former; her death was horrible and tragic and I really did feel for her relationship with Hurley. As soon as they showed the cross on her grave, my heart squished a little inside. It got even better when we saw her again in-episode, and I really love how Hugo didn't shoot her down and instantly dismiss her as simply crazy.



"Wow, I sound insane, don't I?" says Libby.

Um, Libby?



'nuff said.

Back on the Island, Hugo gets another visit from another dead person we'd rather forget.



I am keen to forget everything about this character, because whenever he's onscreen I am constantly on edge, waiting for him to shout some combination of "WALT! WALT!!", "HE'S MY SON" and "WHERE'S MY BOY?". Do. Not. Want. Michael goes on much later in the episode to explain what the mysterious Island whispers are - spirits of the dead who cannot leave the Island - and he tells Hurley to apologise to Libby for him if he ever sees her again. Apparantly he doesn't care that he shot Ana Lucia in the same room at the same time. Don't worry Ana, Eko and I loved you.

IN OTHER NEWS.

We find out just what Illana had spent her entire life training for:

Now you see her...





Now you don't!
Yeah, WHO saw Illana the Artz coming? Show of hands. Nope? Didn't think so. What the hell, Lost? And how much time do we spend mourning the several remaining pieces of Jacob's Favourite Trainee? (she could have worked part time at the Island employment agency!) Answer? None at all. Richard seems too keen to blow more stuff up - because apparantly, blowing up the only other person who approves of your plan is a GREAT IDEA. I'm losing faith Alpert, I'm losing faith.



OK, sorry man, I take it back. You're the man.
Hugo and Rich get into an argument. Hugo pulls the "I see dead Jacob" card. Rich pulls the "If that was Jacob we'd still be clueless" card. Richard wins, the team break up, Rich, Miles and Ben go to blow more stuff up and the remaining Candidates are left with Frank.



Yes.
Good luck Frank.
Hugo decides that the Candidates have to go and hang out with Locke. I don't support that idea at all.

OVER ON TEAM SMOKEY.



Locke has been talking to his wood.

No, honestly, that is the most interesting thing goin' on over there. Have the rest of Team Smokey lost ALL kind of interesting behaviour over there? Is that the price you have to pay to hang out with the smoke monster?



Bored now.



BORED now.



BORED NOW JESUS CHRIST TEAM SMOKEY DO SOMETHING INTERESTING. What do you have to DO 'round here, kidnap a strange elecromagnetically-immune Scotsman?



Oh.

Now I've always been a fan of Locke and Ben sharing scenes, but as much as I dislike Desmond I have to admit that he and Flocke really work well together. Locke takes Desmond to visit a well, and explains that Widmore is only after power. Locke has amazing eyes.



Desmond is distracted by these amazing eyes, and gets thrown into the well. Probably should have seen that one coming Des. But wait, what's that you're saying, comeuppance? What's that Des, you want us to go with you into sideways time? Ok ...



GOODNESS! First Illana, then Locke. Who, might I remind you, I'm pretty certain is actually Flocke.



THE LO-DOWN
MICHAEL: -400 (bad start)
...not shouting about his son: +20
Richard has a new shirt!: +30
"What if Richard's wrong?": -80. Richard is NEVER wrong.
ILLANA THE ARTZ: -200
Team Smokey's fail: -30
Team Blow Stuff Up: +100
"I have nowhere to run to, brother.": +70
Shouty Richard shouting at Jack: +100
Richard showing up Hurley: +100
HURLEY AND LIBBY: +200
"Why aren't you afraid?" // "What's the point in being afraid?": +220
"You have my word.": +100

TOTAL: 230

A smooth episode both in terms of sideways-time sweetness and on-Island awesomeness. Let's just hope that it stays this way 'til the end!

- Break

No comments:

Post a Comment