28 March, 2013

-OZ- disbanding

So after eight and a half years, OZ are disbanding. And I am very very sad.





I like to talk about bands who create a world of their own (indeed, any good band should), and OZ's world is very unique; dark and fluid, rough edges, a landscape of jagged rocks all effortlessly traversed by Natsuki's twisting and turning vocals. They are a band with a signature, in that you can recognise their sound in a crowd of new music, instantly prick your ears up and know the guitars, the drums, the dark melodies.

It was five and a half years ago I first heard them, just the b-side of a new single, and I was instantly won over.



But it wasn't as easy as that. Recorded I find them pretty hit and miss; when they're good they're GREAT, and when they're average ... well, I just don't do average. We ignored them for a little while but then on the recommendation of a friend I found them on my music player again, another b-side, and the love started all over again.


And finally, they became one of my staple live bands in Japan. Because for all they lack recorded they are really bloody good onstage. There isn't a single OZ show I didn't enjoy, and in their honour I look forward to writing about a couple of them soon. Heck, I even have their tour final in June written in my diary for later in the year, even now. Just in case.

Thanks a lot, OZ. I wasn't with you at the start, but I'm glad to have gotten to know you better in your last days. It's been a blast.

- Break

No comments:

Post a Comment